Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My brother, Luke Poynor




This essay will explain to you about my brother, Luke Poynor, and how he has been an upstander to me. Luke was born in California and moved to Oregon when he was around 9 years old. He is currently 22 years old, and occupies a very great job.

Luke dropped out his junior year at Sprague High, an esteemed high school in Salem, Oregon, because of his inability to focus due to his severe ADHD problems. He proceeded to receive a GED, and passed it with flying colors. His teachers and preparers for the GED felt that he should have gone through with high school, but Luke chose not to. He preferred to get the GED and a job.

Later, my mom and Luke had a huge argument, due to Luke not having a full High School education and a time-demanding job for such a young man like him. He was 18 at that time. After a volley of argument points, Luke finally shot back to my mom that he knew we were having financial problems, and that he had been sneaking money into my mom’s bank account without her knowing. Everybody was shocked, but not as much as my mom. She was completely speechless, and eventually broke into tears. My brother couldn’t handle all the emotions and left. Everyone was pretty much very shocked and speechless. Nobody could even imagine Luke, the big, and surly brother of mine who played ruthless football, bullied people in the halls at school, got suspended at least 4 times a year was doing this for us. Time passed, and before we realized it, it was night time and my brother hadn’t returned yet. Nor did he show up the next day, or the day after that. My mom was starting to worry about him, and where he was. About a week later, Luke finally showed up. I was especially happy to see my brother, because I always looked up to him, and for him to show such responsibility made me even prouder of him.

Later, Luke confided in me that the person that inspired him to do this for us and himself, was his advisor at his old school. It turns out that the advisor had done a similar thing. He went around his neighbors, asked them for odd jobs, and saved all the money and gave it to his mother, because his father was too proud to accept the money from his son.

The pillars that apply to Luke, out of the six pillars, are caring, and responsibility. He showed caring by sacrificing his time, life, and education to get a job so he could help the family out when we were in need. He was also responsible enough to realize that sacrifices had to be made for the better of us all.

Concluding this essay, all I can really say is that I’m pretty damn proud that I have him as my brother.

1 comment:

luke said...

Who is this and why are you posting essays about me? E-mail back at poynor86@yahoo.com ASAP.